Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Google Maps for Genealogy

Google Maps provides you with the ability to create your own maps.  I am finding this function useful for genealogy.

Google Maps
Morris County, New Jersey
In the map above, I marked burial places for various families in Morris County, New Jersey.  This helps me visualize their geographical proximity.  I can add locations of residences and places of worship to establish a clearer picture of the close interactions among these people.  Some of the sites are not public cemeteries and finding them is difficult.  I shared this map with other researchers to enable them to find the private burial grounds.

The map could also be used to help you plan a trip to a distant location.  You could include cemeteries, churches, homesteads, as well as local repositories.

1 comment: